Working routine and homemade granola

The working routine has us back and I am missing the time where my mother in law was preparing us a nice breakfast every day and I would not worry about what to have for breakfast. Being home, back to office and kindergarten, there is no much time left in the mornings, before we all are leaving the house, hence something quick, delicious and healthy was what I needed.

Granola was the answer to my prayers, but I have to admit that I am not such a big fan of store bought granola, some of them are just pumped with lots of sugar, others contain ingredients I do not like and some of them are just too bland that you cannot enjoy it without putting tons of sugar into your muesli bowl. All good reasons to re-think the whole granola for breakfast routine and finally try the trend of homemade granola. 

You really would think that making granola is a very big deal, but it actually isn´t. Just grab your favourite seeds, nuts and dried fruits mix it with some oatmeal flakes honey and spices and voila your granola is almost done..... Easy you see!


My homemade granola is quite a success in our house and I think I will never buy any granola in the store anymore. You can eat it with yogurt and fresh berries or fruits or just with some milk, which is my personal favourite.

You can always play with the ingredients creating new and unique granola flavours, which is somehow cool, wouldn´t you agree? Make some extra granola for your next breakfast or brunch invitation, I guarantee your friends will be amazed and grateful.


Homemade granola

  • 200 g oatmeal flakes
  • 100 g spelt flakes
  • 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 1 handful hazelnuts
  • 2 handful dried cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 0,5 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 50 g honey
  • 1-2 tablespoons neutral oil
  • chia seeds (optional)
Preheat your oven to 180 C. In a big bowl mix oatmeal flakes, spelt flakes, sunflower seeds sesame seeds and hazelnuts (roughly chopped) together. In a separate bowl mix sugar, honey, oil and cinnamon. Add the honey-cinnamon mixture to the oatmeal-nuts mixture and mix everything together till all well combined (I am using my hands to get the sugar mixture being well incorporated into the flakes-nuts mixture). Spread the granola on the baking sheet and put it into the oven. Roast for 15-20 minutes, till golden brown...stir it 2-3 times during the roasting process, making sure it roasted evenly. Take the baking sheet out and let it cool on a cooling rack. Meanwhile chop roughly dried cranberries and add it to the cooled granola along with the chia seeds if you are using them. Store the granola in an airtight container.

Note: if you are using roasted nuts, leave them aside and add them to the granola in the last step of the recipe.



Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment