Another bunch of lemons and lemon cupcakes

Friends are great and friends who has lemon threes even more. I already wrote in one of my previous post (here), how much I love lemons. I am very lucky having couple of friends who supplies me with them. This time the lemons came from Cubelles, a small charming village at the sea side. The timing could not be better, as I just run out of lemons from the first bunch I got some weeks ago.

I love lemons and we always having them home. They are just gorgeous on their own and are so diverse in being used. Anytime I am having my creative baking or cooking phase, lemons would always be an important part of it. No matter what you are doing, if you want to lift up your dish, just add some lemon zest and you will be very pleased with the outcome.


So having the lemons home, it was clear I would make a lemon cake or cupcakes. And there was already a great opportunity around the corner to put on my oven and bake some lemon cupcakes... a 5 years anniversary at work for a colleague and friend.


Here is my favorite recipe of a lemon cake, which tastes 100 time better if you are using lemons freshly picked from a three. You can use the same batter for the cupcakes too, just change the sugar glaze (powdered sugar and lemon juice) on top of the cupcakes, with some cream cheese frosting. 

Lemon cupcakes
  • 150 g butter (room temperature)
  • 150 g sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1-2 lemons, zest and juice
  • 2 teaspoons baking powdered
  • 200 g flour
Preheat the oven to 180C and line your muffin pan with paper liners . In a bowl mix together sugar and butter, till fluffy and pale in a color. Add the eggs, one at the time, mix well. then add the lemon zest and juice, combine everything together. Sift baking powder and flour, add to the butter-egg mixture. Divide the batter between the muffin tins (I am always using ice cream scoop, to quarantine the same amount of batter in each tin) and bake for 20 min (do the toothpick test, if it will come out clean, your muffins are ready).
Frost it with a cream cheese frosting and fondant decoration or sugar sprinkles.

Cream cheese frosting

  • 150 g powdered sugar
  • 120 g butter (at room temperature)
  • 250 g cream cheese
  • zest of a lemon
Sift powdered sugar in a medium bowl add the butter, beat everything together till fluffy and pale in the color (about 3-5 minutes). Add cream cheese, in two parts, then add lemon zest, mix well.


Enjoy!

Comments